Learn more about our puppy school services below.
Puppy School in Surry Hills NSW
Our expert dog trainers have a fun, entertaining, and effective course for your cute puppies. This course is designed to help your puppies develop into well-behaved, sociable dogs.
The bulk of behaviour issues, including fearfulness, anxiety, and aggression, can be avoided by beginning with puppy training and a planned program early ideally within the critical socialization period before 12 weeks old.
Why Puppy School?
If you’ve recently become the proud owner of a new puppy, you may be overwhelmed by how adorable he is and how mischievous he may be. Puppy school is an important series of sessions designed to give you the skills you’ll need to socialise and train your puppy in a rewarding and positive way. It allows puppies of similar ages to interact in a secure, regulated setting while supervised by a knowledgeable and experienced trainer. Our qualified trainer Caroline Depledge of The Dog Sessions runs our Puppy School.
What Do You Learn?
- Start socialising with your puppy through building confidence with the world around them.
- Discuss the essentials around toilet training, nipping, and biting, sleeping through the night, alone time, and handling.
- Start on positive behaviour training helping your puppy to know what to do like” sit”, “touch” and puppies’ name.
- Build on week one and go over sticking points.
- Learn the importance of enrichment and stimulation for puppy’s brain health.
- Start training exercises including ‘drop ‘, ‘leave it’ and ‘come’.
- Learn how to read a dog’s body language for better communication and safety.
- Your puppy will learn how to ‘stay’ and ‘give’?
- Build on previous exercises with distance, duration and distraction added.
- Understand the importance of food guarding and possession prevention.
- Puppy will learn the importance of impulse control and settling on their own.
- Review of all the training exercises we have learnt and when to fade treats.
- Teach “on your bed” and start on “loose leash walking”.
- Fun, Games and Prizes
- Class presentation and photo
- Q & A
Requirements For Puppy School
At the start of the five consecutive classes, your puppy should be under 16 weeks old. On the other hand, puppy classes should be started between 8 and 10 weeks old. Puppies can begin as soon as they have received ONE vaccination, as we are inside only in a hygienic vet space. To attend class, puppies must wear a flat collar or harness and be on a leash. Please, no Flexi leads.
Five one-hour lessons make up the four-week puppy course, Four lessons in person. Each session is accompanied by training treats, emailed notes, videos, and phone support.
The number of puppies in each class is limited to four puppies and two humans per puppy.