Although desexing is classified as a routine surgery, it is actually a major operation for your furry friend to undergo. We understand that it’s a significant decision whether you would like to have your pet desexed or not, so we are happy to meet with you to answer all of your questions.Although desexing is classified as a routine surgery, it is actually a major operation for your furry friend to undergo. We understand that it’s a significant decision whether you would like to have your pet desexed or not, so we are happy to meet with you to answer all of your questions.
The ideal age to have your pet desexed is around 6 months old, although they can be desexed younger or older than that. Desexing is a day surgery. At admission, your pet gets a quick pre-anesthetics consult to make sure he or she is ready for the procedure and that all the major internal organs are functioning normally. The patients’ vitals (Respiratory rates, Heart rates, Temperature, ECG, the blood level of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide) are closely monitored and recorded during the surgery to make sure that the anesthetics are working safely and smoothly. On top of that, one of our nurses will stay with your fur baby to ensure they’re fine while waking up from anesthetics.
We take pain management seriously, so all of our patients receive injectable pain relief after the operation is completed.
Things to remember:
- No food after 9pm the night before surgery. They can drink during the night but water should be removed first thing in the morning
- On the day of the surgery, we would prefer to receive our patients between 7:30-9:00 am (if it’s more convenient, they can stay with us from the night before surgery at no extra cost. Contact us for pickup/drop off services
- All surgical patients go through pre-surgical consult at admission
- For all surgeries and procedures, consent forms need to be signed at admission
- We strongly recommend a pre-anesthetic blood work for all animals going under general anesthetics (we are pleased to offer this crucial service at a very affordable price)
- By the end of the day of the operation, you will be contacted with a full report of the surgery
Please contact us to book you pet in for desexing. You can take advantage of our transport facility (available free of charge for the nominated suburbs)